Wednesday, August 29, 2012

First film in a cinema in Sweden!

Before I saw this in the delightful owl cinema of Halmstad, I read a review that this film failed somewhat in that it didn't seem to know who its audience was, mixing juevenile plot, humour and romance and characters with dark dark dark stuff, violence and disturbing imagery.

Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Let's face it, who would have gone to see this if Kristen Stewart hadn't been cast in the main role? Kind of a weird paradox that she draws a crowd for being famously unexpressive and sucky.

She's predictably lame throughout, showing all the emotionality of a goldfish, but the cameras gaze (aka Rupert's gaze) clearly adores her. Boring-old badly scripted scenes with her are imbued with this incredible intimacy with intense closeups and sweeping pans of her body, her face. Knowing what you know now; her affair with director Rupert Sanders, a genuinely sad perspective couldn't be avoided throughout my viewing with all this obsessive worshipful lingering.



Almost every other cast member was superb (apart from the dwarves. Sorry fake dwarves, Tyrion you aint.)  the special effects were amazing, particularly in the forest scenes with the fairies and creatures. Charlize Theron is terrifying and intensely convincing as the evil queen.




I didn't agree that the filmakers couldn't seem to decide on an audience but I did find it unbalanced. For example juxtaposing poo jokes with the sombrely played out narratives and character motivations on beauty, power, guilt, death etc.

And for me, the most interesting aspect was the unintended glimpse into the Rupert/Kristen 'scandal.'

It was on tv I'd probably watch it again. But I wouldn't be happy about my value for money after paying the £11+ Swedish cinema price! But then again I didn't pay. And there was popcorn. And it was such a nice cinema with shell lamps and unstained carpets.



~Aim


No comments:

Post a Comment