Tuesday, January 29, 2013

OMG Time Travel!

It's that time again. Blog update time. You know those times when you find a film and you have no idea what to expect. You haven't heard anything about it, it's not a friend who told you about it and you didn't see a trailer or catch one of the actors talking about it on TV. This is a film that has, to my knowledge, completely passed under the radar.

Well this is one of those films. And I still have no idea howcome we decided to watch it, but we did. You might be wondering what film this is then, and here goes!

Looper (2012)


First of I have to say, that the poster doesn't really do the film justice. Sure Bruce Willis with a bloody big gun will sell films. Classics as the Die Hard films are, (I have been trying to make Aim watch them all with me, so far I've only managed the two first ones!) and I do like them, Bruce isn't really the highlight in this film. Joseph Gordon-Levitt does really have a bigger roll, even though that's not quite true but that is a bit complicated to explain and it would ruin the film a little bit for you so I won't tell you!

Anyway, I don't really think that JGL should be on the poster either, even though he gives a brilliant performance as usual. There's another actor and he really should have been nominated for an Oscar, I was really blown away. I'll be brutally honest, this film is quite far from Oscar quality but his performance really is. He's seven years old, seven! I really can't describe his perfomance, there's not enough superlatives for me to describe it. This little kids name is Pierce Gagnon. I really look forward to seeing him in many more films to come.

Well enough of the acting, even though that's probably the high point of the film for many people. It was for me to but, being a Sci-fi/time travel nutter, the story was really good. They missed a bit, they introduce a thing in the beginning of the film and it's like "Meh, why are they showing us this? Because they can?". This little thing however dissappears from the film completely until the very end, when it turns out that this is actually a very big part of the plot. The film would have benefited from a little bit more of that throughout the film. Apart from that and a sometimes randomly über-violent Bruce I think it's a film that is indeed worth a watch. I enjoyed it very much, Aim on the other hand wasn't quite as impressed, but you can't agree on everything.

Watch it if you're a Sci-fi/time travel nutter, you like Bruce/JGL or you would like to see a star performance by Pierce Gagnon.


~Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment