Sunday, July 1, 2012

Three is the magic number...

or is it?

This time we watched a film that I have been looking at in the DVD bargain bins more times than I can count. Finally I got to watch it even after being on our backlog for months and months!

The Number 23 

This is a film with Jim Carrey, but it's not a comedy! It's a tense and densely plotted thriller and IMDB describes it like this "Walter Sparrow becomes obsessed with a novel that he believes was written about him. As his obsession increases, more and more similarities seem to arise.". And that's quite a good summary. The style of the film reminds me a little bit of Sin City, a film I really can't say if I like or not, but it definitely worked in this film.

To see Jim Carrey in a film like this is quite surprising and you just expect him to throw off some weird line in the middle of the serious murderous plot, it never happens though. He's absolutely brilliant in the film and even though I liked him before we watched the film he's actually risen to be one of my favourite actors after watching it. It makes me want to go through his filmography and see what other serious roles he has done. The rest of the cast also pulls off a good performance but they're completely overshadowed by Mr. Carrey.

I have to say, I really enjoyed this film. After all those years of hesitating to watch it, the reason for that I will never now, it has become one of my favourite films of all time. And I'm a picky man when it comes to films, not many get past my radar as really good and even less become my favourites.

If you haven't already figured it out. Should you watch it?


~ Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment